Saturday, May 30, 2009
Sunday, May 17, 2009
- 1 head broccoli
- 6 to 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (we used turkey bacon...can't tell the difference in the salad!)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (we just used white)
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional (haven't tried the raisins yet)
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar, cut into very small chunks (we use shredded cheese)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (low-fat, real mayo...not miracle whip)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Trim off the large leaves from the broccoli stem. Remove the tough stalk at the end and wash broccoli head thoroughly. Cut the head into flowerets and the stem into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add the crumbled bacon, onion, raisins if using, and cheese. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, mayo , sugar, and tomatoes, stirring well (it sounds crazy but after you blend the mayo, sugar, and vinegar together add the tomatoes...it helps dissolve the sugar!). Add to broccoli mixture and toss gently.
This is something that is super fast so it is great for weeknight meals...enjoy!
Have a great week :-)
To all my teacher friends - We can do this, we only have a few more weeks (some less than others!) and we will once again find our serenity!!!!