Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Love on a tortilla!

Tonight during the wild storms we had the most amazing dinner. I found this recipe a while back but only got around to fixing it today. I put it in the crockpot this morning around 8:30 and we ate dinner at 6:30. Will shredded the meat and I made guacamole to go with the tacos. We use corn tortillas heated in a little hot oil but I bet flour would be fine also. I highly recommend this recipe. It was easy to throw together this morning and fast tonight when we were ready to eat! Here is the recipe and you can find the original here! Bon appétit, mes amies!



Cilantro Slaw
1 head red cabbage
1 c. Mayonnaise (I split 1/2 mayo and 1/2 miracle whip)
1 c. Cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. minced Garlic
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper or a dash of your favorite hot sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. Lime Juice (one small lime)
1/2 tsp. Cumin

Combine all but slaw in a mini food processor or chop and combine yourself. Mix desired amount of dressing with slaw mix no more than 30 minutes before serving.

Roasted Sweet Pork
6 (approx) pounds Pork butt/shoulder (Mine was only about 3 lbs...no problems!)
1 19 oz. can Red Enchilada Sauce ( I used Old ElPaso...it was all the Kroger had)
1 can Dr. Pepper (12 oz)
2 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 Clove Garlic or 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I forgot this, oops!)

Combine all ingredients into your crockpot and cook on low 9-10 hours or until meat is tender.


We put the meat and slaw in the tacos together, the slaw was pretty powerful but when paired with the sweet pork it was amazing! Also, I used a whole head of cabbage and thought the amount of mayo was too much for our taste. Next time I think I will reduce it to 3/4 cup and see how it works.

Let me know if you decide to try it, you'll be glad you did!


No comments: