Saturday, November 8, 2008

the kindness of strangers



"I've always relied on the kindness of strangers." Scarlett O'Hara




This weekend Will and his dad went hunting which left the girls at home together. Today we got up and had breakfast and then set out for a morning of errands and shopping! We first went to pick up some stuff for me and then went to Target. Madeline and I go shopping alone all the time but today we crammed lots into one morning. After roaming around Target we were checking out and Maddie announces that she needs to go to the restroom. Uhhhh...ok? I have a basket full of stuff and a dancing 3-yr old who needs to potty NOW. I head towards the restrooms and stop to ask the security guard if I can leave my basket and bags somewhere safe. She smiles and says oh just take it with you. uhhhh....ok? So I take the whole basket and Maddie and go right into the restroom and there were no accidents and no one stopped me. Interesting!




After Target we headed to PetSmart to buy light bulbs for the fish tank. Maddie loves to watch the fish, find the crabs, talk to the kitties and talk to the doggies (from afar that is!). I love taking her to the pet store because she loves it so much! Just as we are getting in line, a dog on a leash barks at Maddie, startles her and next ting I know the light bulbs have hit the floor with a crash and are in a million pieces! The lady in front of us was shocked but only had sweet things to Maddie who was up set about the accident. One of the employees hurried over to clean it up and she actually brought us another package!




Now it is time for lunch and we are headed to Panera. We order and head to a table, I get her set up and ready and realize I have no silverware or drinks.....hmmm, now what? I look around and know that I can walk the 15 yards to the service station but what about Maddie and our stuff? I finally broke down and asked two ladies seated next to us if they would help me keep an eye on Maddie and they were so nice about it! We are halfway through our food and again we have to head for the restroom. I again ask the young couple with a baby if they minded guarding our lunch while we went to the bathroom and the were so willing to help!




I know that if you are still reading this you are wondering where I am going with this. Well here I am! The human race is extremely selfish and self-serving and hurtful towards each other. We have become a cynical society and I must count myself in the category at times. Today though was one of those times where I still see the sense of community and concern for the fellow man.




Thanks to those that help complete strangers and when it's your turn...make an effort...you never know how appreciated it might be:)




BTW....10-0!!!! Let's go Raiders!!!!!!

No comments: